Biology Department Students, Faculty Present at Conference
Faculty and students from Columbus State University’s biology department recently presented research at the annual Association of southeastern Biologists conference in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
The following were recognized with awards for their work.
- Best Microbiology paper ASB
John Spencer, Rowan Pitts, Rachel Pearson and Lauren King
The Effects of Antimicrobial Peptides WAM-1 and LL-37 on Multidrug Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii
- Second Place Frank Brooks Award (BBB papers)
Michael Sandak, Elizabeth Klar, John Calvert (Emory University), Brian Schwartz.
Influence of Nerve Growth Factor Dosing Intervals on Muscular and Functional Regeneration in Mice After Acute Myocardial Injury
- Honorable Mention Frank Brooks Award (BBB papers)
Trevond Sellers, Elizabeth Klar and Kathleen Hughes
Effect of Nerve Growth Factor on Cardiomyocyte Proliferation after Induction of Hypoxia
- Honorable Mention David Johnson Award (BBB poster)
John Hetzel and John Hanson
From Trash to Treasure: Techniques for Reconstructing Mitochondrial Genomes from Highly Fragmented Historical DNA
The following projects completed by CSU faculty and staff were also presented at the conference.
- Jeramy Belt, Amy Sibley, Elizabeth Klar and Michael Newbrey
The influence of chronological age on the occurrence of intersex in Largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides, in the Chattahoochee River drainage, Georgia.
- Malina Rollins, Michael Newbrey, Elizabeth Klar, Jeramy Belt
A comparison of the number of growth cessation marks in otoliths and centra of Largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides
- Amy Sibley, Elizabeth Klar, Jeramy Belt and Michael Newbrey
Comparison of histopathological evaluation to assess the effects of pollution in two creeks of Columbus, GA using livers of Largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides).
- Devyn Seifert, Harlan Hendricks and Austin Strellner
A survey of intestinal helminths of largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) in West Central Georgia
- Daniel Kim, Elizabeth Klar, and Julie Ballenger.
Effect of pickling on the morphology of Cucumis Sativus
- Rachel Pearson, Avianna Cliatt, Laronsia Cross, Joshua Hill, Joseph Gibson, Tevaris Haley, John Hetzel, Andrew Kumar, Elianna Largeman, Jennifer McMillion, Ekta Parab, Austin Strellner, Julie Wilson and Lauren King
Effects of Fluoride Varnish and Sucrose on Cell Viability, pH, and Biofilm Formation of Streptococcus mutans
- Mary Kathryn Wright and Clifton Ruehl
Behavioral responses of physid snails to predators depends on predator diet
- Frances Woolfolk, Michael Newbrey, Hugo Martín-Abad and John Maisey
A new interpretation of chronological ages of Latimeria chalumnae and other coelacanths
- Persia Tillman, Michael Newbrey, Clint Boyd and Todd Cook
Comparison of age and growth biology of 34 million year old stingrays from North Dakota to the extant Dasyatis pastinaca
- Kristina Lam, Jennifer Newbrey and Michael Newbrey
Effects of Female Condition on the Reproductive Success of Eastern Bluebirds (Sialia sialis) Breeding in West-Central Georgia
- Ashley Desensi and Julie Ballenger
The effect of disturbance on vegetative community structure and diversity: A comparative survey