COLUMBUS, Ga. – Columbus State University President Tim Mescon announced Tuesday the adoption of a new strategic plan, born from a comprehensive, engaged planning process that started last year.
“This new strategic plan does not answer all our questions,” Mescon said. “I fully recognize that in our current economic environment, there are significant challenges ahead. But this plan provides a blueprint for action that builds upon our core values and beliefs and clearly reinforces our goals and objectives.”
Mescon thanked the university family and many community members who participated in the process, which included many meetings and discussions and a survey of more than 1,000 thousand faculty, staff, students and alumni.
“Their input was integral to this process,” he said. “I appreciated very much their contributions and commitment.”
The new plan:
Columbus State University provides world-class education and assures student success through creative inquiry and community, regional, and global partnerships.
• To achieve academic excellence through teaching, research, creative inquiry and student engagement.
• To achieve excellence in the student experience and prepare individuals for a life of success, leadership, and responsibility through community awareness, engagement, and service to others.
• To achieve recognition as a leader in community development, regional economic development, and public-private partnerships.
• Excellence – Commitment to best practices in teaching and learning, scholarship and creative activity, student engagement, cultural enrichment and campus environment
• Engagement – Active civil participation by students, faculty and staff in the university experience
• Creativity – The pursuit of distinction through inquiry and innovation, challenging convention and focusing on solutions
• Servant Leadership – Effective, ethical leadership through empowerment and service
• Inclusion – Fostering and promoting a campus that embraces diverse people, ideas, views and practices
• Sustainability – Commitment to behaviors that recognize and respect our environmental context
Strategic Goals and Objectives
Goal One: Achieve excellence in undergraduate and graduate education to meet student and community needs.
• Pursue and maintain national accreditation for all eligible undergraduate and graduate programs.
• Seek approval for Columbus State University’s first doctoral degree
• Develop and expand opportunities for online degrees and courses.
• Expand educational opportunities throughout the region.
• Develop and expand student and faculty opportunities for international programs, study abroad and the Spencer House.
• Develop, promote and reward faculty/staff performance and achievement.
• Create a College of Fine and Performing Arts that is recognized as a leader in its disciplines.
• Strategically develop and grow graduate programs.
• Recognize and support faculty scholarship and creative activities.
• Expand programs and opportunities for student research.
• Recruit and retain qualified faculty and staff to adequately support the university’s mission.
Goal Two: Increase enrollment to 10,000 students by fall 2011.
• Improve retention, progression and graduation rates.
• Enhance quality of campus life and student academic support services.
• Develop and deliver best-in-class First Year Experience programs.
• Recruit better academically qualified undergraduate and graduate students.
• Expand honors and servant leadership programs.
• Expand participation and ensure success in intramural, club, and NCAA athletics.
• Increase enrollment capacity for core classes while maintaining a quality educational experience.
• Expand the utilization of the RiverPark campus to accommodate a greater number of students.
Goal Three: Create more partnerships with academic institutions, government agencies and businesses consistent with the university’s mission.
• Increase regional economic and community development efforts.
• Improve working relationships with local schools and educational systems on all levels.
• Lead workforce development efforts in this region.
• Encourage, expand and enhance partnerships with community entities.
• Broaden opportunities for experiential learning and civic engagement.
Goal Four: Increase external funding and recognition.
• Increase sponsored research, grants and contracts.
• Increase private funding.
• Expand alumni programs and engagement.
• Crystallize the Columbus State University brand.
• Pursue recognition/ranking in national publications, i.e., U.S. News & World Report, Princeton Review, etc.
Goal Five: Provide a best-in-class technology platform and information-based services.
Learn more »
• Create 100 percent wireless campus access to technology and information services.
• Promote operational excellence, develop business intelligence, and apply innovative business practices through the use of technology.
• Identify partnerships/alliances with world-class technology enterprises to support technology requirements.
• Maintain a dynamic Web site that effectively serves online visitors and supports campus operations.
• Inspire faculty/staff to use leading-edge technology.
• Promote the libraries to be the premier information resource for CSU community (students, faculty and staff).