Columbus State Hosts Inaugural Alumni Weekend
COLUMBUS, Ga. — Columbus State University’s Alumni Association is staging its first Alumni Weekend Oct. 21-22 with family-oriented activities on both main and RiverPark campuses.
Plans include live music, NCAA soccer, campus tours, a community service opportunity, an alumni recognition luncheon, alumni gatherings by academic area and a celebration of milestone anniversaries.
“We’re hoping all alumni and their families will take advantage of this opportunity to revisit campus, reconnect with old friends and rediscover what’s happening at Columbus State for today’s students,” said Jennifer Joyner, director of Alumni Relations.
The weekend kicks off that Friday with an early registration and cocktail party at The Loft, 1032 Broadway, followed by live music. The CSU Jazz Ensemble will perform in RiverCenter’s Studio Theatre while the Uptown concert series commences outside The Loft on Broadway’s median.
Friday activities are free while Saturday prices vary by event or can be covered by a $40 pass. The Saturday schedule includes:
- Pancake breakfast, 8-9:30 a.m. Mock Pavilion, main campus, $5
- CSU Day of Service, 9-11:30 a.m., transportation at pavilion to and from worksites in the Highland community of northwest Columbus, free
- Bus tours of CSU outreach centers (Coca-Cola Space Science Center, McCullers Center) and RiverPark and main campuses, 9 a.m.-noon, free
- CSU Cheerleader Reunion and Lunch, 9 a.m.-noon, Lumpkin Center
- Annual Alumni Recognition Luncheon, with recognition going to winners of the Alumni Service Award, Young Alumni Award, Excellence in Alumni Achievement, Distinguished Alumnus in Military Service and the CSU Alumni Association Faculty-Staff Appreciation Award,12:30-2 p.m., CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center, $15
- Emeritus Alumni Society Reunion (by invitation, for Classes of 1958-1961, plus former students), 2-3 p.m., Coca-Cola Space Science Center, $5
- Women’s Soccer: CSU vs. USC Aiken, 3 p.m., Walden Soccer Complex, free for alumni
- Alumni Reception, 6-8 p.m., Theatre on the Park’s grand lobby, 901 Front Ave., $25
- Dessert and Dancing on the Green, 8 p.m., Woodruff Park, adjacent to Theatre on the Park. Music by Crooked Shooz. Included in price of alumni reception.
Child care for ages 2-12 will be available both evenings from CSU’s Student-Athlete Advisory Group and the women of Phi Mu fraternity from 5:45-10:45 p.m. in the RiverPark Campus Student Center Activity Room, 1011 Broadway. The cost is a $20 donation per night and $15 per additional child. Space is limited. Snacks and entertainment will be provided. Proceeds go to charity.
For more information, including registration links, visit http://ColumbusState.edu/alumni or contact Jennifer Joyner, director of Alumni Relations, at 706-507-8956 or Jennifer.Joyner@ColumbusState.edu. Contact Jimbo Davis at 706-568-2317 regarding the cheerleader reunion.