Columbus State Stages Parents Day Sept. 24
COLUMBUS, Ga. — Columbus State University's third annual Parents Day kicks off at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 24 on CSU’s RiverPark Campus in downtown Columbus.
“We’re giving parents a glimpse of the academic and recreational resources that CSU provides their sons and daughters,” said Student Development Specialist Collins Brown, who is organizing the event.
The Parents Day schedule:
- 9-11 a.m. – Market Days on Broadway: Participants will be encouraged to experience this popular, Saturday morning excursion along the 1000 block of Broadway on CSU’s RiverPark campus, where vendors sell homegrown produce, baked goods, fresh flowers, art and handcrafted items.
- 10-11:15 a.m. – Check-in, RiverCenter lobby
- 11:30 a.m.-noon – Welcoming Remarks, RiverCenter’s Legacy Hall: CSU President Tim Mescon and Gina Sheeks, vice president for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, will speak to the gathering.
- Noon-2 p.m. – Lunch-Entertainment, Woodruff Park: Lunch will be accompanied by such attractions as big armchair photos, caricature artists, wax hands, kid-friendly inflatables and DJ-provided music.
- 2:30-4:30 p.m. – Community Service Activity: Shuttles will transport students and their parents to work together at one of several area community service sites.
Tickets are $17 and $15 for Compañeras, a survival story about seven female political prisoners in Uruguay during the 1970s’ “Dirty War." The concert by Lillios, professor of music technology at Bowling Green State University, is free.
As an alternative to the primary schedule of programs, Parents Day participants will be invited to visit CSU’s Student Recreation Center on main campus and the recently expanded Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center or other community attractions such as the Columbus Museum and National Infantry Museum.
To register or for more information, call 706-568-2180 or visit http://ColumbusState.edu/ParentsDay.