Columbus State to Celebrate 'Winner Takes All' Homecoming
COLUMBUS, Ga. - Columbus State University will stage its 2009 Homecoming, themed 'Winner Takes All,' with Feb. 23-28 activities for students, faculty, staff and alumni. Several of these events, culminating with game day Saturday, are open to the public.
The celebration will involve alumni reunions and competitions ranging from a dodgeball tournament to a hamburger cook-off where students, faculty, staff and alumni compete with grills and propane stoves in the Lumpkin Center parking lot. The cook-off, in its second year, is part of tailgating on gam eday Saturday that leads to a trio of NCAA doubleheaders on main campus.
A new event, a golf cart parade, will complement traditional activities including the homecoming ball and the Friday-night bonfire and pep rally. The parade begins 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 26 at the clock tower as part of the week's overall competition among student organizations. Entries, golf carts decorated and converted into floats, will proceed through and around main campus.
Entries to the annual student flag competition in the Lumpkin Center lobby and the faculty-staff door decoration contests also will provide visuals of school and homecoming spirit in line with the casino-style theme.
Special programs for CSU alumni include a reception between the women's and men's basketball games to honor CSU's 1984 graduating class, whose members will be inducted into the Silver C Society as 25-year alumni. For more information, call CSU Alumni Affairs at 706-568-2280.
Below is the overall homecoming schedule:
Monday, Feb. 23
• 'Ultimate Gaming Experience' (Combat Zone Laser Tag, in the Gym Annex) and (Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 gaming in the Davidson Student Center lounge), 11a.m.-3 p.m.
• Night-student appreciation (food and giveaways), 5:45-7:30 p.m., Howard Hall and Center for Commerce and Technology
• Student flag (in Lumpkin Center) and faculty-staff office door (around campus) competition entries on display
• 'Mr. & Miss Housing Pageant,' 7 p.m., Davidson auditorium
Tuesday, Feb. 24
• Homecoming lunch (including trivia contest and giveaways), 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Davidson cafeteria
• RiverPark campus night-student appreciation, 5:45-7:30 p.m.
• Intramural basketball All-Star Night (includes slam dunk,three-point shooting contests), 7 p.m., Woodruff Gym
Wednesday, Feb. 25
• Dodgeball Tournament, (open to faculty-staff, as well as students), 12:30 p.m. (sign up at 12:15 p.m.), Gym Annex
• Find the Cougar Competition (student organizations compete)
Thursday, Feb. 26
• Golf cart parade, 12:30-1 p.m., clock tower-through-main campus route
• Homecoming Ball, 8 p.m.-midnight, Cunningham Center
Friday, Feb. 27
• Bonfire and Pep Rally (music DJ, giveaways, team introductions, cheerleader performance), 7-9 p.m., parking lot behind the Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center
Saturday, Feb. 28
• Tailgating/hamburger cook-off, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Lumpkin Center parking lot
• Softball doubleheader: CSU vs. Francis Marion, noon, Lady Cougar Field
• Baseball doubleheader: CSU vs. West Florida, 1 p.m., Ragsdale Field
• Basketball doubleheader CSU vs. UNC Pembroke, 2 p.m. (women), 4 p.m. (men), Lumpkin Center.
Between Basketball Games
• Homecoming court introductions
• Homecoming week competition results
CSU Alumni Game Day Activities
• Main campus tour, begins 1 p.m., from Lumpkin Center
• Children's play and game activities in designated area, 2-5:30 p.m., Lumpkin Center
• Alumni networking and Silver C Society reception (honoring class of 1984),between basketball games
For more information, go to http://studentlife.colstate.edu/homecoming/index.asp or call 706-568-2273.