CSU Army ROTC Battalion to Commission 19 Cadets Tuesday
[caption id="attachment_2867" align="alignright" width="150"] Army second lieutenants have been wearing gold bars to denote their rank since 1917.[/caption]
COLUMBUS, Ga. – Columbus State University’s Army ROTC Battalion will hold its Spring Commissioning Ceremony at 11 a.m. Tuesday, May 20 in University Hall.
Nineteen cadets will be commissioned as Army second lieutenants.
Maj. Gen. H.R. McMaster, commander of the Army’s Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, will be the guest speaker. The event is open to the public. Light refreshments will be served.
One cadet being commissioned Tuesday is Ricky W. Leslie, who was recognized last fall as the Army’s top ROTC cadet. He graduated from Columbus State with a Master of Public Administration degree on May 12 and will report to Fort Jackson, S.C., to take the Army’s Finance Basic Officer’s Leader Course before reporting to his first duty station, at Fort Carson, Colo.
Leslie, of Fayetteville, Ark., surpassed 5,470 counterparts nationwide for the top cadet recognition, compiling a top score on the national Order of Merit List that measures academics, leadership and physical fitness.
Many of the cadets being commissioned Tuesday participated in the Army’s Leadership Development and Assessment Course at Fort Lewis, Wash., last summer. CSU’s contingent was recognized as the top unit among 39 schools from the Southeast.
Other cadets being commissioned are:
- Julia Alexander, Augusta, Ga.
- Lanise Barnett, Jonesboro, Ga.
- Nathan Bohn, Columbus, Ga.
- Justin Grant, Columbus, Ga.
- Gregg Janson, Columbus, Ga.
- Kristy Janson, Columbus, Ga.
- Samantha Lee, Ft. Mitchell, Ala.
- William Lewandowski, Phenix City, Ala.
- Matthew Little, Ft. Benning, Ga.
- Juan-Pablo Marin, Chula Vista, Calif.
- Jeremy Miller, Abbeville, Ala.
- David Mojica-Cruz, Fayetteville, N.C.
- John Nieberding, Lorton, Va.
- Marco Presichi, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Justin Robertson, Longview, Va.
- Wideline Servius, Pompano Beach, Fla.
- Jamar Sherman, Phenix City, Ala.
- Javier Tena, Ft. Benning, Ga.
For more on CSU’s Army ROTC program, visit http://ColumbusState.edu/ROTC.