CSU Happenings for Aug. 21-27, 2011
Aug. 21 - Freshman Convocation; Cougar Kickoff Continues Aug. 22-26
Columbus State stages its annual Freshman Convocation, 4 p.m. Sunday University Hall auditorium. The program involves hundreds of students, families, faculty and staff gathering to welcome freshmen into the college environment. Featured speaker Alex Acton was CSU student government president and 2009 honors graduate. He is completing a master’s degree in communication from Georgia State University. A reception follows in the Schuster Student Success Center. The event is part of Cougar Kickoff, a series of student-focused events to celebrate the opening of the new school year. Remaining programs are:
- Monday - Play Date, 7-11 p.m. in the Davidson Student Center Cougar Lounge, involves food, music and games – from traditional, like music chairs, to technical, like Wii – courtesy of Play Date Company.
- Tuesday - Study Abroad and International Education Fair, 12:30-1:30 p.m. in the International House, will provide students information on this year’s programs and scholarships to help pay for them.
- Tuesday - Outdoor movie screening of Fast Five, 8:30-11 p.m. on the intramural field at University Avenue and Clearview Circle, includes movie trivia and prizes, plus free beverage and popcorn for early arrivals.
- Wednesday - Girl Talk: Life of a Christian College Woman, 7:30 p.m. in the Davidson Student Center Columbus Room, involves discussion including members of the CSU student organization, Collegiate Women of Wisdom.
- Thursday - Chill Out with Dr. Mescon, noon-1:30 p.m. at the clock tower, provides an opportunity for students to meet with CSU President Tim Mescon in a casual atmosphere with inflatables and cold treats provided by the Chill Yogurt Cafe.
- Thursday - Shameless, 7-10 p.m. at RiverCenter’s Studio Theatre, is an open mic, improv platform for creative and theatrically minded students.
- Friday - Callaway Beach Bash, 2-6 p.m. at Callaway Gardens, involves water recreation, food and various “dry” activities in this third annual student event. Students will ride Columbus State buses to and from the Pine Mountain resort.
Aug. 27 - Astronomy Night
Columbus State’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center stages an Astronomy Night program of stargazing and planet viewing on Saturday, Aug. 27 from the center at 701 Front Ave., Columbus. An 8 a.m. planetarium is followed by telescope viewing at 9 p.m. The program is free. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org.