CSU Happenings for July 21-26
JULY 21 - Astronomy Night at Callaway Gardens
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center continues its Monday evening Astronomy Night series at 9 p.m Monday at Callaway Gardens’ Overlook Pavilion in Pine Mountain. Programs are free and start at 9 p.m. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org.
JULY 21-25 - Space Camp: ‘MasterBlasters’
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center continues its series of space camps with “MasterBlasters” for ages 8-12, from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday at the center, 701 Front Ave., Columbus. Campers will learn the fundamentals of designing and building a rocket, including principles of aerodynamic stability and rocket propulsion and recovery. The fee is $205. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org. To register online, go to http://columbus.augusoft.net/.
JULY 21-25 – ‘Activ8’ Summer Camps
Continuing Education’s “Activ8” series of weekly enrichment camps for kids continues on CSU’s main campus. There is no registration deadline as spaces are open for several of the camps listed below, that will run Monday through Friday in various categories (in parentheses) and range in fees from $79-$95:
• Cartooning (Create-A-Lot)), ages 11-14, Howard 106
• Dressed Up (Create-A-Lot), ages 8-11, Showbiz, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 213
• Family Pets (Ur Life,), ages 11-14, Howard 102
• Fashion Designer (Trendy), ages 8-11, Howard 105
• High School Musical (Showbiz), ages 11-14, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 214
• Mad Scientist (Scienceologies), ages 8-11, Howard 101
• Picture Book (3 R’s), ages 8-11, Howard 103
• Scrapbooking (Create-A-Lot), ages 11-14, Howard 104
• Spanish Stars (Global), ages 8-11, Howard 107
9 a.m.-4 p.m.:
• Game Design: Intro (iTech), ages 14-17, Center for Commerce and Technology 409
• Candle Making (Create-A-Lot), ages 11-14, Howard 106
• Dressed Up (Create-A-Lot), ages 11-14, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 213
• Mime Theater (Showbiz), ages 11-14, Howard 102
• Take Charge (Ur Life), ages 11-14, Howard 101
• Take Off (Scienceologies), ages 11-14, Howard 105
• Weather Forecast (Scienceologies), ages 8-11, Howard 104
• Worldly Beats (Global), ages 8-11, Howard 108
The separate camp for ages 5-7, “Antarctica: Land of the Deep Freeze,” also is full.
All Activ8 campers can eat lunches brought from home or purchase a meal during a supervised lunch hour in the Davidson Student Center cafeteria. Also, for a small, added fee, “before care” and “after care” services are available as parents can drop off campers anytime after 7 a.m. and pick them up any time until 6 p.m. Space is limited, and the schedule could change. For more information, including schedule updates, call 706-507-8070 or go to http://www.activ8er.com. For walk-up registration, go to the front desk in the Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center.
JULY 26 - Sci-Fi Under the Stars: ‘First Men in the Moon’
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center will screen the 1964 film “First Men in the Moon” at 9 p.m. Saturday, July 26 on the center’s south lawn. An adaptation of an H. G. Wells novel, the plot is based on a 1960s United Nations lunar mission that reveals evidence of a moon landing from earth several decades earlier. The program is free and part of the center’s Sci-Fi Under the Stars series. Guests are invited to bring snacks, lawn chairs and bug spray. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org.
JULY 26 - Experts to Review Weracoba Creek Clean-Up
A team of water quality experts will explain how they helped clean up Columbus’ Weracoba Creek, from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, July 26 at CSU’s Cunningham Center.
Researchers from CSU, University of Georgia and University of South Florida will report on the success of a new water treatment system that has won a national award for its success in cleaning up the creek at Lakebottom Park.