CSU Happenings for June 1-7
JUNE 1 - Fan Bus to National Championship Game
CSU is taking reservations for seating on a fan bus to Montgomery Friday night for the NCAA Division II baseball national championship game. CSU is going for its second title in six years when the Cougars play defending champs University of Tampa. The game starts at 8 p.m. (EST) at Montgomery’s Riverwalk Stadium. The bus leaves the Lumpkin Center at 5:30 p.m. Cost is just $10 (cash only) and includes a ticket to the game. Reserve a spot by calling 706-568-2204.
JUNE 1 and JUNE 3 – CSU Opera: ‘The Marriage of Figaro’
CSU’s Schwob School of Music will stage Mozart’s comic opera “The Marriage of Figaro (Le nozze di Figaro)” at 7:30 p.m. Friday and at 3 p.m. Sunday in the RiverCenter’s Bill Heard Theatre. The fully staged production will be sung in English with 18th-century period sets and costumes. CSU voice students will sing all roles, guided by guest stage director Judith Auer, who has served on the artistic faculty of Italy’s Opera Festival di Roma. A professional orchestra will be conducted by CSU Professor Constantina Tsolainou, the Paul S. and Jean R. Amos Faculty Chair in Music and Director of Choral Activities.
Admission is $10 or $20 for reserved seating and discounts are available for military personnel and senior citizens. Free tickets are available for CSU faculty and staff (limit two) and students (limit one) with university ID. For tickets, call the RiverCenter Box Office at 706-256-3600. For more information on the production, call 706-649-1986.
JUNE 4-8 - Kids’ Summer Camps to Cover Sports, Arts, Science, Language
Spaces are available for the following camps, Monday through Friday, presented by CSU Continuing Education. The CSU faculty/staff 25 percent discount (limit one program) applies. For more information on the following, and all other continuing education programs, call 706-568-2023 or go to http://www.conted.colstate.edu.
• Spanish Language (Ages 4-6 and 7-9) 9 a.m.-noon, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center: This camp features Spanish language instruction through stories, songs and age-appropriate interactive activities. Campers will study greetings, numbers, colors, foods and animals. Snacks and drinks will be provided. The cost is $125.
• RocketBoosters (Grades 1-2) 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center: Campers will participate in space-related activities that include launching rockets, exploring our recently upgraded Omnisphere Theater, using telescopes, constructing solar cookers and making kites. Participants should bring a brown bag lunch. Total cost, including materials is $205.
• Baseball Camp (Ages 6-9) 9 a.m.-noon, Ragsdale Field: Players will receive individualized instruction and learn fundamentals of hitting, pitching, fielding, and team play. Directed by CSU Baseball Coach Greg Appleton, the camp will feature games, drills, and batting cage time, combined with coaching from collegiate and high school coaches. The total cost is $100.
• Basketball Fundamentals (Girls, Ages 8-13) 9 a.m.-noon, Lumpkin Center: Designed to accommodate all skill levels, this camp for girls focuses on the fundamentals — shooting, dribbling, passing and team positions. Game scrimmages take place each day and collegiate coaches and CSU basketball players provide instruction. The total cost is $100.
• Arts Explorers: Books (Grades 3-5) 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Rankin Arts Center: Campers will learn to make paper, turn poems into paintings and short stories into collage, and put them together into handmade books. Participants also will make a book from clay and a sculpture from a book. The cost is $125. (A separate, concurrent section of this camp for kindergarten-through-second-graders is filled.)
JUNE 4-22 - Musical Theatre Camp to Open
CSU Continuing Education will open a three-week Musical Theatre Camp for kids in kindergarten through third grade on Monday in the Rankin Arts Center. Class sessions, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. weekdays, will include creative movement to music, storytelling, puppets and skits. Participants also will keep a journal through drawings and/or writing, and a short musical will be prepared by the students for an end-of-camp performance. The cost is $125 and includes all materials. For more information, call 706-568-2023 or go to http://conted.colstate.edu.
JUNE 4 - Astronomy Night Series Opens at Callaway Gardens
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center will stage a series of Monday evening Astronomy Night programs starting June 4 at Callaway Gardens. The programs will begin at 9 p.m. with a planetarium presentation, followed by planet viewing and stargazing. Admission is free and open to the public. For more information, call 706-649-1470.
JUNE 6 - New Student Orientation for Summer Classes
CSU will host an orientation on Wednesday for all new students enrolled for the summer session that begins June 11. Check-in for the orientation begins at 8 a.m. in the Davidson Student Center lobby. The program will begin at 8:30 a.m. in the Davidson auditorium and end at approximately noon, followed by advisement and class registration.
The cost is $35 per student and $15 per guest with advance registration. For questions regarding reservations, call 706-568-2330. For general orientation, call the Orientation Hotline at 706-568-2180 or visit http://orientation.colstate.edu/index.asp.
JUNE 7 – Summer Session Registration and Fee Payment Deadline
Thursday, June 7 at 5 p.m. is the deadline to register and pay for CSU summer session classes that start June 11 and continue through July 26. For more information, call 706-568-2035 or go to http://registration.colstate.edu.