CSU Happenings for June 16-21
JUNE 16 – Astronomy Night at Callaway Gardens
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center continues its Callaway Gardens Astronomy Night series with a program starting 9 p.m. Monday at Overlook Pavilion. The program is free and part of a Monday evening series at Callaway. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org.
JUNE 16-19 – Early Childhood Enrichment Camp Continues
CSU’s College of Education continues its month-long “Summer Spectacular 2008” series of weekly activities for children ages 4-11. The program runs from 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Participants research and write about theme subtopics and bring the overall theme (Natural History Museum) to life by creating displays. CSU early childhood education students and professors direct the programs at both River Road and North Columbus elementary schools. Parents can sign up their children for $25 per child, per week for any or all sessions. For more information, call 706-568-5392.
JUNE 16-20 - Space Camp: ‘Comet Jumpers’
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center continues its summer space camp series with “Comet Jumpers” for ages 5-7 from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the center, 701 Front Ave., Columbus. Participants will explore the planetarium, fly jet simulators, perform experiments, play space games and learn to use the solar telescope. The fee is $205. For more information, call space camps director Michael Seckinger at 706-649-1477 or go to http://www.ccssc.org. To register online, go to http://columbus.augusoft.net/.
JUNE 16-20 – CSU Sports Camps
CSU coaches, athletes and others will direct various sports camps for kids this week in four or five-day programs:
• Soccer, ages 7-14, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, CSU Soccer Complex, $200
• Soccer, ages 4-14, 9 a.m.-noon Monday through Thursday, CSU Soccer Complex, $125
• Baseball, ages 5-13, 9 a.m.-noon, Monday through Friday, Ragsdale Field, $125
To register or for more information, call 706-507-8070 or go to http://columbus.augusoft.net/.
JUNE 16-20 – ‘Activ8’ Summer Camps
Continuing Education continues its “Activ8” series of enrichment camps this week on CSU’s main campus. There is no registration deadline as spaces are open for several of the courses that will run Monday through Friday in various categories (in parentheses):
9 a.m.-4 p.m.
• PRIME (mathematics), girls only, ages 11-14, Howard 101
• 21st Century Quilt (Create-A-Lot), ages 11-14, Howard 104
• Ancient World (Global), ages 8-11, Howard 103
• Art in Action (Showbiz), ages 11-14, Howard 107
• Design Your Own Clothes (Create-A-Lot), Ages 11-14, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 213
• Jazz, Funk and Hip Hop (Sports and Dance), ages 8-11, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 214 (FULL)
• Juggling (Showbiz), ages 8-11, Howard 105
• Lord of the Rings (Trendy), ages 11-14, Howard 108
• PowerPoint (iTech), ages 11-14, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 216
• PSI (3 R’s), ages 8-11, Howard 102
• Taste Test (Scienceologies), ages 8-11, Howard 106
• Web Design (iTech), ages 8-11, Center for Commerce and Technology 409
• 21st Century Quilt (Create-A-Lot), ages 8-11, Howard 104
• Bones and Blood (Scienceologies), ages 8-11, Howard 103 (FULL)
• Design Your Own Clothes (Create-A-Lot), Ages 8-11, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 213 (FULL)
• Freestyle (Showbiz), ages 8-11, Howard 107
• Juggling (Showbiz), ages 11-14, Howard 105
• Keyboarding (iTech), ages 11-14, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 216 (FULL)
• Lego Robots (iTech), ages 11-14, Center for Commerce and Technology 409 (FULL)
• Office Basics (Create-A-Lot), ages 8-11, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 216
• Spanish Stars (Global), ages 11-14, Howard 102
• Taste Test (Scienceologies), ages 11-14, Howard 106
• Who am I? (Ur Life), ages 8-11, Howard 108
For ages 5-7, this week’s Activ8 program is “Asia: Lands of Mystery” ($149), from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in the Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center.
Fees per course range from $79-$95. All Activ8 campers can eat lunches brought from home or purchase a meal during a supervised lunch hour in the Davidson Student Center cafeteria. Also, for a small, added fee, “before care” and “after care” services are available as parents can drop off campers anytime after 7 a.m. and pick them up any time until 6 p.m.
Space is limited and the schedule is subject to change. For more information, including schedule updates, all 706-507-8070 or go to http://www.activ8er.com. For walk-up registration, go to the Continuing Education front desk in the Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center.
JUNE 20 - Fall Orientation for Commuter Students
CSU will hold daylong orientation on Friday, June 20 for fall 2008 new students who will not reside in university housing. Check-in is from 8-9 am in University Hall (formerly Fine Arts Hall). The cost of program is $40 per student and $15 per guest. Participants have an opportunity to meet other new students, explore campus resources and organizations, learn academic policies and procedures, and distinguish between academic myths and facts. For reservations, call 706-568-2330. For more information, call the Orientation Hotline at 706-568-2180 or go to http://orientation.colstate.edu/.
JUNE 21 - Space Science Center Anniversary to Feature Astronaut Story Musgrave
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center will celebrate its 12th anniversary and a pair of other milestones from 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, June 21. A slate of free entertainment for all ages also will commemorate CSU’s 50th anniversary and an appearance by astronaut Story Musgrave signifies NASA’s 50th anniversary.
Musgrave, 72, will give a 6 p.m. presentation in the Omnisphere Theater. He has flown six NASA space missions over 30 years, including flights on all five Space Shuttles. He’s also accomplished as a trauma surgeon, scientist and author, and served as a consultant to Disney’s imagineering group, Applied Minds, Inc., and the movie “Mission to Mars.” Free tickets (limit four per person) for Musgrave’s presentation are available at the center, 701 Front Ave., Columbus. Guests also will have an opportunity to visit with Musgrave in a “meet and greet” session starting at 5 p.m. Earlier activities will involve Omnisphere Theater shows, air rockets, model rocket launches, T-shirt give-aways and movies in the shuttle. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org.
JUNE 21 - Sci-Fi Under the Stars Double Feature: ‘Destination Moon’ and ‘Rocketship X-Man’
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center will screen “Destination Moon” and “Rocketship X-Man” (both from 1950) on the center’s south lawn starting 9 p.m. Saturday, June 21. Part of the center’s Sci-Fi Under the Stars series, the double feature is free as guests are invited to bring snacks, lawn chairs and bug spray. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org.