CSU Happenings for June 7-13
JUNE 7 – Astronomy Night at Roosevelt State Park
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center will stage an Astronomy Night program starting 9 p.m. Saturday at Roosevelt State Park near Pine Mountain. The program is free. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org.
JUNE 8 – Oxbow Meadows’ Second Sunday to Explore Primitive Living
CSU’s Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center will present “12,000 Years in 60 Minutes” as its Second Sunday series program for Sunday, June 8. The 2-3 p.m. program will involve a demonstration by historian and primitive skills specialist Scott Jones, who will cover fire-making; the of use of animals for food, fiber, tools and hide; and stone stools such as the atlatl (spearthrower), bow and rivercane blowgun. Admission is $2 person and free for kids under 3. For more information, call 706-687-4090 or go to http://oxbow.colstate.edu.
JUNE 9 – Astronomy Night at Callaway Gardens
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center continues its Callaway Gardens Astronomy Night series with a program starting 9 p.m. Monday at Overlook Pavilion. The program is free and part of a Monday evening series at Callaway. For more information, call 706-649-1470 or go to http://www.ccssc.org.
JUNE 9-12 – Early Childhood Enrichment Camp Continues
CSU’s College of Education continues its month-long “Summer Spectacular 2008” series of weekly activities for ages 4-11 from 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Participants research and write about theme subtopics and bring the overall theme (Natural History Museum) to life by creating displays. CSU early childhood education students and professors direct the programs at both River Road and North Columbus elementary schools. Parents can sign up their children for $25 per child, per week for any or all sessions. For more information, call 706-568-5392.
JUNE 9-13 – Math Collaborative Summer Workshop for Teachers
CSU’s Columbus Regional Mathematics Collaborative will stage its annual summer workshop for teachers at the Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center. Sessions are from 8:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday and Friday. The cost is $300 or $200 for educators from math collaborative-member school systems. To register or for more information, call 706-568-2480 or go to http://crmc.colstate.edu/registration.asp.
JUNE 9-13 - Future (Science-Math) Teacher Academy
CSU science and math professors are opening their labs to local high school students to engage them in creative science and math activities and prepare them to pursue science teaching careers. The program, the Future Teacher Academy, will involve fun, hands-on sessions from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday in the Center for Commerce and Technology and LeNoir Hall. Each student will apply his or her lab training the following week (June 16-20) by working with k-8 students in space camps at CSU’s Space Science Center, and in mathematics and computer science camps, which are part of Continuing Education’s Active8 series. For more information, go to http://mathscied.colstate.edu or call Cindy Henning at 706-568-3430 or Kenneth Jones at 706-562-1474.
JUNE 9-13 - Space Camp: ‘BattleZone’
CSU’s Coca-Cola Space Science Center continues its summer space camp series with the gaming program, “BattleZone” for ages 8-12 from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the center, 701 Front Ave., Columbus. The program will involve Star Wars, Marvel HeroClix and more. The fee is $205. For more information, call space camps director Michael Seckinger at 706-649-1477 or go to http://www.ccssc.org. To register online, go to http://columbus.augusoft.net/.
JUNE 9-13 – CSU Sports Camps
CSU coaches, athletes and others will direct various sports camps for kids this week in four or five-day programs:
• Tennis, ages 5-up, 9 a.m.-noon Monday through Thursday, Blackmon Tennis Center, $125
• Baseball, ages 5-13, 9 a.m.-noon Monday through Friday, Ragsdale Field, $125
• Girls Basketball Fundamentals, ages 5-up, 9 a.m.-noon Monday through Friday, Lumpkin Center, $125
To register or for more information, call 706-507-8070 or go to http://columbus.augusoft.net/.
JUNE 9-13 – ‘Activ8’ Summer Camps
Continuing Education opens its new “Activ8” series of weekly enrichment camps this week on CSU’s main campus. There is no registration deadline as spaces are open for several of the courses that will run Monday through Friday in various categories (in parentheses):
• 9 a.m.-noon
• Act it Out (Showbiz), ages 8-11, Howard 103
• Card Sharks (Trendy), ages 11-14, Howard 105
• Career Exploration (Ur Life), ages 11-14, Howard 101
• Fun in the Sun (Create-A-Lot), Ages 8-11, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 213
• Jello-O Cell-O (Scienceologies), ages 8-11, Howard 106
• Office Basics (Create-A-Lot), ages 11-14, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 216
• Picture Book (3 R’s), ages 11-14, Howard 104
• Potterology (Trendy), ages 8-11, Howard 102
• Scratch (iTech), ages 8-11, Center for Commerce and Technology 409
• Sports Plus (3 R’s), ages 11-14, Howard 108
• Act it Out (Showbiz), ages 11-14, Howard 103
• Alice (iTech), ages 11-14, Center for Commerce and Technology 409
• Card Sharks (Trendy), ages 8-11, Howard 105
• Cartooning (Create-A-Lot, ages 8-11, Howard 102 (FULL as of June 6)
• Fun in the Sun (Create-A-Lot), Ages 11-14, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 213
• Journal Writing (3 R’s), ages 11-14, Howard 107
• Mosaic Art (Create-A-Lot), ages 8-11, Howard 106
• Office Basics (Create-A-Lot), ages 8-11, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 216
• Spanish Stars (Global), ages 8-11, Howard 108 (FULL as of June 6)
• Special Ed Sports (Sports and Dance), ages 11-14, Woodruff Gym
• Talent Show (Showbiz), ages 11-14, Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center 214
For ages 5-7, this week’s Activ8 program (9 a.m.-4 p.m.) is “Africa: Lands of Yester-Year.” (FULL as of June 6)
Fees per course range from $79-$95. All Activ8 campers can eat lunches brought from home or purchase a meal during a supervised lunch hour in the Davidson Student Center cafeteria. Also, for a small, added fee, “before care” and “after care” services are available as parents can drop off campers anytime after 7 a.m. and pick them up any time until 6 p.m. For more information, call 706-507-8070 or go to http://www.activ8er.com. For walk-up registration, go to the Continuing Education front desk in the Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center.