CSU Happenings July 24-28
JULY 24-28 - SUMMER CAMPS FINAL WEEK
Programs featuring astronomy, the arts and sports represent the final, full week of Columbus State University Continuing Educations 2006 summer camps. An extra tennis camp session will run July 31-Aug. 4. For more information on the camps listed below, including how to register, contact CSU Continuing Education at 706-568-2023 or visit http://conted.colstate.edu. To contact the Rankin Arts Center, call 706-641-4000.
- Stargazers -- CSUs Coca-Cola Space Science Center will host Stargazers, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Participants in grades 1-2 will launch rockets, experience the space centers recently upgraded planetarium, fly simulated missions in the Challenger Learning Center, design aliens and more. The fee is $205 per child.
- Tennis Camp (Monday-Thursday) -- CSU tennis coach Evan Isaacs and CSU players will direct participants, ages 4-18, in a camp covering fundamentals such as backhand and forehand swings, and incorporating various drills and match play. The camp will run 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Thursday at CSUs Blackmon Tennis Center. An additional tennis camp has been added to run the following week, July 31-Aug. 4. The fee is $100 per person, per camp.
- Soccer Camp (Monday-Thursday): CSU Soccer Camp will include fundamentals, match-related skills training and competitive team play for participants, ages 5-14. Directed by CSU womens soccer coach Jay Entlich and his players, the camp will run 9 a.m.-4 p.m. ($175 fee), with a 9 a.m. to noon half-day option ($100 fee) Monday through Thursday at the CSU Soccer Complex.
- Arts Explorers -- Andy Warhol: CSUs Rankin Arts Center concludes its Arts Explorers series with Andy Warhol, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday through Friday in the Rankin Building, second floor, 1004 Broadway, Columbus. Campers grouped according to K-2 and 3-5 grade levels, will study Warhol as an artist and create works in his spirit through pop-out portraits from clay constructions, time-capsule building and mask-making. The fee is $125 per person.
- The Artist Series Camp: CSUs Rankin Arts Center will host The Artist Series Camp for participants in grades 5-7, 1:30-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday in the Rankin Building, second floor, 1004 Broadway, Columbus. Inspired by various world-famous artists, participants will create art work through a variety of materials and methods. The fee is $75 per person.
JULY 28 - RANKIN ARTS EXPLORERS OPEN HOUSE TO FEATURE YOUNG ARTISTS
Columbus State Universitys Rankin Arts Center will stage an Arts Extravaganza Open House, 6-8 p.m. Friday, July 28 in the Rankin Building, second floor, 1004 Broadway, Columbus. The event is free and open to the public and will feature art work by K-5-grade-level participants of the Rankin Centers Arts Explorers summer camp series. In separate camps, the students studied and created in the spirit of artists including Butch Anthony, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, Vincent van Gogh, Leonardo da Vinci, Romare Bearden, Faith Ringgold and Andy Warhol. For more information, call 706-641-4000.