CSU Happenings June 19-23
JUNE 19-23 - SUMMER CAMPS TO COVER ARTS, MATH AND SCIENCE
Columbus State University Continuing Education will stage a new set of summer camps, listed below, Monday through Friday (except where noted otherwise). For more information, visit http://conted.colstate.edu or call 706-568-2023. To contact CSUs Rankin Arts Center, call 706-641-4000.
- Arts Explorers: Leonardo da Vinci (grades K-2) (grades 3-5) 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Rankin Arts Center, $125 Participants will study Italian Renaissance painter, sculptor and inventor Leonardo da Vinci, and subsequently create their own three-dimensional inventions and their own version of the Mona Lisa. The campers also will write music in code and formulate their own human pretend machines.
- Thunder, Lightning and other Scary Stuff (grades 3-4) 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. CSUs Coca-Cola Space Science Center, 701 Front Ave., Columbus, $205 Participants will learn about hurricanes, tsunamis, tornadoes and more from a television meteorologist, as well as visit CNN headquarters in Atlanta. Call 706-649-1470 for more information.
- POWER: The Sights and Sounds of Mathematics (grades 6-8, boys only) 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Elizabeth Bradley Turner Center, $160 Participants will learn mathematics while creating various artistic projects. Activities will include tessellating patterns and kaleidoscopes. The camp is designed and coordinated by CSUs Columbus Regional Math Collaborative. For more information, call 706-568-2480.
- Columbus Ballet Conservatory: Creative Movement (ages 4-5) and Pre-Ballet (ages 6-7) 9:15-10 a.m. Tuesdays and/or Thursdays, June 19-Aug. 1, Rankin Arts Center (various schedule and fee options).
- Kindermusik Adventures at CSUs Rankin Arts Center, $90 per camp: Peek-A-Boo I Love You Section B (newborn-1.5 years) 9:15-10 a.m., Zoo Train Section B (ages 1.5-3) 10:15-11 a.m., On the Road Section B (ages 3-5) 11:15 a.m.-noon, Around the World Section B (ages 4-7) 1-2 p.m., Sign & Sing Section A2 (6 months-3 years) 2:15-3 p.m.
JUNE 23 NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION FOR FALL SEMESTER
Columbus State University will hold an orientation on Friday, June 23 for new students enrolling for fall 2006 who have recently graduated from high school and will not be living in university housing. Check-in will be 8-9 a.m. in Fine Arts Hall. Programs begin at 9 a.m. in the Fine Arts Hall auditorium and will conclude approximately 3 p.m. The cost is $35 per student and $15 per guest with advance registration. An extra $25 will be charged for same-day registration on site. Fees cover meals, all supplies and materials. For questions regarding orientation reservations, call 706-568-2330. For general orientation information, contact the Orientation Hotline at 706-568-2180 or visit http://orientation.colstate.edu/index.htm.