CSU Recognized for Commitment to Historic Preservation
COLUMBUS, Ga. -- Columbus State University has been recognized by the Historic Columbus Foundation with its highest honor, the Sarah Turner Butler Heritage Award, for its commitment to historic preservation.
In a statement released to the media, the foundation stated that CSU had been “a pioneer in adaptive re-use” since its 1958 birth as Columbus College, when it started holding classes in the former Shannon Hosiery Mill as its initial home for nearly five years.
The Historic Columbus Foundation has presented its Sarah Turner Butler Heritage Award annually since 1984 to an individual or organization for outstanding contributions to historic preservation in the Columbus area 'through demonstrated leadership and commitment to the mission of Historic Columbus.'
The foundation statement noted CSU’s recent move into downtown Columbus and efforts to establish its RiverPark campus, which involved the reuse of historic structures and the construction of new buildings to conform to the look of downtown.
CSU President Frank Brown, who plans to retire in June 2008, was mentioned for leading the expansion effort “with integrity and honor, with wisdom and strength, with business savvy, and with winsome humility.”
“Dr. Brown was the right person at the right time in the right role; and while we will surely miss him in his current position as he retires in June, we look forward to his continued participation in our community as we are certain he will find new avenues through which to serve.”