Homecoming Week: Paintball, Dodgeball and More on Tap
COLUMBUS, Ga. -- Columbus State University has given a makeover to its annual homecoming celebration as student-centered activities this week lead into a 50th Anniversary Open House Celebration this weekend.
Instead of a winter, basketball-centered affair, homecoming in 2008 is a springtime, baseball-oriented celebration.
Themed “Remember the Cougars: Hitting Strong 50 Years Long,” homecoming week started Monday as CSU Student Affairs and its Residence Life Office are staging student-centered competitions and activities that also are open to faculty and staff. Events and competitions, such as an outdoor “Paintball Challenge,” will culminate with a CSU-Lander baseball doubleheader Saturday at Ragsdale Field:
• Student Flag Competition - Banners on display in Lumpkin Center main lobby
• Faculty and Staff Office Door Decoration Competition - Judging takes place Tuesday
• Fun Fair - Students will make customized photo postcards and “big chair” photos and record music and create video using a mobile CD and DVD booth from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Davidson Student Center game room
• Mr. and Miss Housing Pageant - Contestants perform, model formal attire, and participate in a question-and-answer session, 7 p.m. in the Davidson Student Center auditorium
• Night Student Appreciation - Food and giveaways for CSU evening students at various campus locations, 5:45-7:30 p.m.
• “Take me out the Ballgame” themed lunch in the Davidson Marketplace cafeteria, 11 a.m.- 2 p.m.
• Paintball Challenge - Teams of five will compete on a course with large inflatables, while a DJ plays music and hot dogs and drinks are served to student, faculty and staff spectators, 7-9 p.m., Mock Pavilion and Intramural Field
• Dodgeball Tournament - Students, faculty and staff compete, 12:30 p.m., Health and Safety Building Gym Annex
• “Find the Cougar” - A scavenger hunt-competition for student teams, 6 p.m., Lumpkin Center
• Homecoming Ball - Open to CSU students and their guests, 7-11 p.m., Columbus Iron Works and Trade Center
• “Concert Under the Stars Block Party” - Swingin’ Medallions perform starting at 7 p.m. as part of 50th anniversary celebration for the community, followed by a fireworks display over the clock tower and a 9-11 p.m. block party for students to feature a music DJ, giveaways, food and games
• Gameday Tailgating Competition - Student organizations compete, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Davidson Student Center parking lot
• Hamburger Cookoff - Students, faculty-staff and alumni compete, with judging from 12:20-12:45 p.m., Davidson Student Center parking lot
For more information, go to http://studentlife.colstate.edu/homecoming/schedule.asp or call 706-568-2026.
For more information on CSU’s 50th anniversary Open House-Homecoming weekend celebration, go to http://www.colstate.edu/50years/apr04-05.asp.