Numerous Events Scheduled to Welcome Back Students for Fall ‘13
COLUMBUS, Ga. – There will be plenty of events on tap to welcome students back to campus as Columbus State University once again opens the school year with Cougar Kickoff, a series of recreational and informational programs designed to welcome new students and reacquaint returnees with campus.
It is all slated to begin before classes start Monday, Aug. 12, with the annual Residence Life Move-In Day on Thursday, Aug. 8. Columbus State faculty, staff, alumni and student organizations will be on hand to greet families and help students settle into their RiverPark and main campus apartments.
“The events are fun and designed to encourage socialization and familiarity with campus,” said Kimberly McElveen, Columbus State University’s senior director for student engagement. “But they also serve a valuable purpose for the campus and for the students. We want our students to feel a real connection to each other, to faculty and staff, and to this campus because studies have shown that will help them emotionally, socially and –most importantly – academically.”
Two more events – including a picnic for students downtown – are scheduled before classes even begin on Monday. Once the fall semester officially starts, students will get to experience an array of activities that range from a crash course on college life to a bike ride with CSU President Tim Mescon.
A special event every year, especially for first-time students and their families, is the ninth annual Freshman Convocation on Aug. 18. The event serves as a rite of passage, introducing new students to the university’s community of scholars.
To help students get around to all the events, Columbus State buses will run shuttles between the RiverPark and main campuses and to activities held away from both campuses.
Cougar Kickoff activities include:
- Aug. 8: Move-In Day, daylong event on main campus and downtown, and begins with a 9 a.m. check-in.
- Aug. 10: RiverPark Picnic, 5-8 p.m. at Woodruff Park including free food and drink for students.
- Aug. 11: Throwback Night, 7 p.m. at Hollywood Connection, where CSU students can skate the night away with their new best friends (See website for transportation information).
- Aug. 12: Ask Me!, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Clock Tower (ROAR Team) and all day in Schuster (ACE) as the ROAR Orientation Team will be there to answer questions about financial aid, residence life, dining, finding classes, etc.
- Aug. 12: FREE Lunch, 10:45 a.m. -1:30 p.m., The Baptist Collegiate Ministries student organization is hosting its annual hot dog event. Meet with leaders and student members!
- Aug. 12: Chill with the President, 2-4 p.m. at Clock Tower
- Aug. 13: Comedy Night Featuring Rickey Smiley, 8 p.m. at Lumpkin Center. The SAC co-sponsors a concert by the comedian and star of the Rickey Smiley Show.
- Aug. 14: Main Campus Picnic, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the clock tower
- Aug. 14: Meet the Greeks, 7 p.m. at Greek Center Lawn - a student networking opportunity with CSU’s Greek life system.
- Aug. 15: Volunteer Opportunities Fair, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at clock tower
- Aug. 15: COEHP Ice Cream Social, 12:30-2 p.m. FRESHMEN ONLY!
- Aug. 15: Scavenger Hunt, 3-5 p.m. at Clock Tower
- Aug. 15: Shameless, 8 p.m. at Riverside Theater Complex
- Aug. 16: Cougar Kick-off Dance, 8 p.m., at Student Recreation Center Multipurpose Room
- Aug. 17: Whitewater Rafting, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Whitewater Rapids (See website for transportation information)
- Aug. 18: Freshman Convocation, 4 p.m., University Hall Auditorium, involves hundreds of students, families, faculty and staff gathering to welcome freshmen into the college environment. The featured speaker will be Jason McKenzie, owner of Ride On Bikes.
- Aug. 19: Field Day, 12-2 p.m. at Intramural Field
- Aug. 21: Outdoor Movie & Get Involved Panel, 8:30 p.m. at Woodruff Park
- Aug. 22: Women’s Awareness Rally, Noon-2:30 p.m. at Clock Tower
- Aug. 22: Bike Ride with the President, 5:30 p.m. meet on Lumpkin Lawn
- Aug. 22: Color Party, 6:30 p.m. at Woodruff Park
- Aug. 23: Callaway Beach Bash, 2-6 p.m. at Callaway Gardens, involves water recreation, food and various “dry” activities in this fifth annual student event. Students will ride Columbus State buses to and from the Pine Mountain resort (See website for transportation information).
- Aug. 24: Day of Service, 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. at Mock Pavilion. This is a community outreach that brings together faculty, staff, and students to enhance an area in Columbus through various projects. Register at ColumbusState.edu/-Dayof Service Cougar Kick-off Week.
For more information about these events, go online to http://students.columbusstate.edu/cougarkickoff/